Free Hit Counters
Free Counter
Locations of visitors to this page

Dating

100% Free Personals from JustSayHi



WWW Iconochasm

Wednesday, October 10

Wrist Pain: Eroded but not arthritic?

I went to see the hand surgeon today. He went into more detail than the rheumatologist about my MRI scan. Apparently, most of my wrist is in bad shape. Most of it is inflamed and not only have some of the bones been pushed out of place but they seem to have been chemically eroded by the inflammation (I guess by the production of "toxic" chemicals). Isn't the body wonderful.

The expert who reviewed the MRI scan wryly wrote than the only "normal" area is the one from which arthritis starts. So, maybe the good news is that I haven't got arthritis. I'm not raising my hopes too much.

The surgeon said that the arthroscopy that the rheumatologist recommended wasn't going to cut it. He frankly admitted that such a small cut meant that he sometimes couldn't get enough tainted tissue for analysis. So, to do the biopsy and get enough crap out, he wants to do a bigger, "open" cut, that'll probably leave a 2.5 cm scar.

The good news is that there's a slim chance of getting it done on the NHS in 5 days time. This would be quicker and cheaper than a £2000 private operation. I'm not raising my hopes too much.

I'll know by Friday.

I moaned about having a blood test, MRI scan and biopsy and still no treatment. I'm frustrated. If it's TB, they could give me the antibiotics saving time, pain & money. If it isn't, I wouldn't have lost less time or money, than waiting for a diagnosis.

I remember my school science. First, form a hypothesis. Then, carry out an experiment to test the hypothesis. Finally, analyse the data to see if it supports or refutes the hypothesis. In this case, it would be quicker & cheaper to try treatments to see if the hypothesis is correct.

The surgeon said that if it isn't TB, then the antibiotics could cause a problem but was vague on the consequences. I think he didn't like my idea of hacking scientific method.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home