Free Hit Counters
Free Counter
Locations of visitors to this page

Dating

100% Free Personals from JustSayHi



WWW Iconochasm

Monday, August 9

USA 2010 Holiday: Day 1 - Strike

There was a tube strike. So, I had to get a coach from Golders Green to Victoria before getting a 2nd one from there to Heathrow. The first coach arrived on time but got stuck in London and arrived 20 min late. So, I missed the 2nd coach. There was a long wait for the 3rd coach and there was a massive queue. When I got to the front, it was booked up. I tried to get a taxi but guess what, there was a massive queue for that. I asked a lot of people if there were going to Heathrow & offered to pay half the cost but no one spoke up. Were they not going or did they not want to share with me?

One kind lady offered to share the cab – but she was only going to Hammersmith. I jumped at the offer. The cabbie said the motorway was packed so advised me to get the Heathrow Express from Paddington. So, after crawling to Hammersmith, we went to Paddington – or at least the outskirts. There was another traffic queue. I got out 5 min away & the fare was £37.

I took the train but arrived 30 min after my NY plane left. I feared having to wait a day for another flight and to pay for a new ticket. What was my budget – a good NY price e.g. £300-£400? I went to the Continental ticket desk with trepidation but she surprisingly offered to change my ticket to the evening one for free. What great customer service. I had a 7hr wait for the 1830 flight. The first few hours went slowly. When I went to check-in, I asked for a window seat but wasn’t given one. I was asked to ask at the gate for one. The Continental rep managed to get me a window seat later on. More props for Continental service. I hope it doesn’t decline when they merge with United Airlines.

The flight was delayed by 20 min due to ground congestion. It arrived on time. I took the train to NY Penn Station. Phoned I to meet there the next day. Then I took the Long Island Rail Road to get to Flushing. Both journeys were quick although there was a 30 min wait

When I got off at the Flushing/Main Street station, I found myself in Asia Town – Korean & Chinese shops. I spent 15 min walking the wrong way and another 30 min going the other way to the Flushing YMCA – at 12:30 am. I got a room key but found out I needed a key for the shared bathroom and one was missing so I have to go to another floor. The room was fine with a working TV & AC. There was a plastic undersheet but a large fitted cupboard & rail for clothes. Here's a photo:






News stories – cuts to school buses for older kids (parents protesting / taking legal action), woman who was stopped by police when her daughter had asthma attack & died trying to get law to force police to undergo CPR training & refreshers,.5 democrats trying to NY AG for Albany in Primary.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home