Free Hit Counters
Free Counter
Locations of visitors to this page

Dating

100% Free Personals from JustSayHi



WWW Iconochasm

Tuesday, April 18

Enervating Employment Enquiries

Today, I woke up and commuted 1 metre to work in my home/office and did the following:
  1. Responding to an email, I arranged a phone interview with a Dutch company for an 8am chat on 20 April about a product control engineer vacancy.
  2. Responding to an email, I phoned a to re-arrange a flesh interview for a risk management consultant vacancy to 28 April.
  3. Responding to an email, I phoned to re-arrange a deferred (as I was travelling in Asia in March) 2.5 day long interview at a chain of private language schools for an English-teaching job in Japan.
  4. Responding to a snail mail shortlisting offer letter, I phoned to arrange a medical exam for a job at an Assistant (English) Language teacher at Japanese government schools.
  5. Responding to a lack of email, I phoned a FCMG company to find out if they had been assessing my Supply Chain application form. I had to complete it online but their faulty system did not enable me to finalise it so I had to resort to sending a PDF file of my form to their "Enquiry@Careers.X" email address. Their HR person said that had my application form but hadn't got around to sending me a confirmation email.
  6. I phoned a financial services employment agency to find out if they had any suitable vacancies but was told to keeping sending my CV in to any vacancies I was interested in.
  7. I completed a utility company's online application form for a Commercial management trainee vacancy by giving answers to their Superhero questions ie describe a time when you flew faster than a speeding bullet, leapt a tall building, etc.
  8. Responding to a lack of snail mail, I was phoned up by an industrial company to reveal why I hadn't accepted their job offer as a project planner yet. I told them I had only received it today. The HR person tried to intimidate me into giving a verbal acceptance followed by an immediate written confirmation. I refused saying their offer gave me 30 days to accept. He asked me why I wasn't going to accept it now. I replied that I was waiting for other offers. He claimed that the job offer wasn't my first choice. I countered saying that it and other potential offers had advantages and disadvantages. He threatened me with images of "frustrated managers" if I didn't agree although he back-pedalled saying that a slow acceptance wouldn't have adverse consequences. He asked me when I would make a decision and I replied I would do so ASAP and within the 30 days they had given me to accept. He then said I shouldn't have been given 30 days but 14 days but that was his colleagues' faulty policy.
Over the weekend after I finish my interview (3), I plan to:
  1. Research and produce a presentation for my Assistant Project Manager interview on 24 April at a university entitled, What makes a successful research – intensive university?. Well, I haven't a clue but I think being 700 years old helps. Alas, my pontential employer is only about 1/5 as old.
  2. Prepare for an interview on 27 April as a financial planner at an accountancy firm.

Looking for a job is a full-time job.

Unfortunately, none of the above options is my dream job but perhaps I have to grow up and give up dreams. Unfortunately, I've learnt the hard way that doing work that is different from what I had been told I would be getting / have been doing or is far from ideal works out very badly in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home